Everything you need to know about Laser Hair Removal
Once you start seeing the results from Laser Hair Removal, you’ll wonder why you waited so long to get started! The most obvious benefit from laser hair removal is a 90% reduction in unwanted hair, but there are additional advantages to consider!
Say goodbye to ingrown hairs, and the hyperpigmentation that comes along with them! No more wondering if you remembered to shave your bikini line or underarms! Save time in the shower shaving, but maintain silky, smooth skin all year round!
Let’s talk about the laser hair removal process…
Laser hair removal is a quick, easy and comfortable treatment. The laser uses a concentrated beam of light to eliminate hair in the targeted area. The laser beam emits light absorbed by the pigment of the hair, and the conversion of light energy to heat damages the cell responsible for producing hair. As a result, it stops future hair growth.
The most common treatment areas for Laser Hair Removal among women are the legs, underarms, bikini line and even the face! Men typically focus on areas like their back and chest.
How do I know if I’m a candidate?
Your hair color and skin type contribute to the efficacy of Laser Hair Removal. At Metro Medspa in St. Louis, we use a laser that’s safe for all skin types. However, blonde hair, gray hair and red hair are challenging to treat, because there isn’t enough pigment in the hair for the laser to target. The best candidates for laser hair removal are those people who have a strong contrast between the color of their skin and the color of their hair. At Metro Medspa, we typically start the laser hair removal process with a consultation to ensure the interested client is a good candidate!
Tips to maximize your Laser Hair Removal results
- Staying out of the sun. At Metro Medspa, we recommend that you stay out of the sun for at least two weeks prior to treatment, as we don’t want to treat over an active tan. Remember, the laser likes a contrast between your hair and your skin. If you have an active tan, it’s harder for the laser to determine where to target during your treatment.
- No Spray Tan or selfless tanner. For the same reasons we don’t want to treat over an active tan, we don’t want to treat an area that has been spray tanned or self-tanned.
- Don’t pluck or wax between treatments! The laser needs hair to target, so when the hair is plucked or waxed, we no longer have a hair follicle to destroy beneath the surface of the skin.
- Stick to the recommended schedule! During the consultation process, the provider will recommend a schedule based on your treatment areas. It’s important to stick to this schedule as we want to target a specific point in the hair growth phase for best results. For example, we recommend treating the face every 4 weeks, the trunk of the body every 6-8 weeks and the limbs every 8-10 weeks.
- Shave the areas to be treated. A clean shave is the best way to prepare for your laser hair removal treatment. Stubble or long hair can cause surface damage and be more uncomfortable for the patient.
- During your laser hair removal treatment. We’ll start by applying a thin layer of ultrasound gel to act as a glide and conductor for the laser hair removal device. We’ll do a test spot to ensure the settings are appropriate, and then we start treatment from there. Small areas usually take about 5 min each, medium areas typically take about 15 min each and large areas usually take about 20-25 min each. The laser feels like a hot rubber band snap for a second, and then any discomfort is eliminated by the strong cooling tip on the surface of the laser.
- After Laser Hair Removal. During the first few hours after the laser treatment, redness and swelling on the treated area might occur, which is normal and will eventually fade away after a few hours. Applying a cold compress will help alleviate any discomfort. If you experience prolonged swelling around the hair follicle, we recommend using hydrocortisone cream to help alleviate any swelling.
Results happen gradually, so it’s unrealistic to expect the hair to fall out immediately and stop growing. However, over the course of 6-8 treatments, clients start noticing the hair re-growth pattern becoming patchy with less and less hair regrowth. The hair that remains visible is typically much finer and thinner than it was prior to a laser hair removal treatment series. The number of treatments necessary to achieve at least 90% hair reduction varies from patient to patient, but on average, each area requires anywhere from 6-12 treatments to get to the desired end point.
If you’re interested in Laser Hair Removal, one of our annual memberships might be a good choice for you. We have two affordable options with flexibility to switch treatment areas based on the progress you see during your laser hair removal journey.
Visit us today and consult with our girl gang to see if laser hair removal is the best for you!